Earth laughs in flowers... Ralph Waldo Emerson


A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
C.S. Lewis

Friday, June 5, 2009

Summer Salad Saturday!!!

salad collage

 

Orzo Salad

  • Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups orzo
  • 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 1/2 cups red and yellow teardrop tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
  • About 3/4 cup Red Wine Vinaigrette, recipe follows
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Pour the broth into a heavy large saucepan. Cover the pan and bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in the orzo. Cover partially and cook until the orzo is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Drain the orzo through a strainer. Transfer the orzo to a large wide bowl and toss until the orzo cools slightly. Set aside to cool completely.

Toss the orzo with the beans, tomatoes, onion, basil, mint, and enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve at room temperature.

Red Wine Vinaigrette

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

2 teaspoons honey

2 teaspoons salt

3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with more salt and pepper, if desired.

Yield: 1 3/4 cups

saladstrdy

Thank you to KD for hosting Summer Salad Saturday!!! We have

made this salad several times and it is YUMMY!!! Don’t be intimidated by the amount of

ingredients. It is really very easy. Give it a try!!! I am sure you will love it!!!

Be sure and stop by Southern Whimsy to see the other salad recipes!!! I hope everyone has

a wonderful weekend!!!

Lots of Love!!!

Cathy

21 comments:

Betty Jo said...

Cathy your mosaic looks good enough to eat! This salad sounds yummy and I will definitely try it. Thanks for sharing. ♥

Allidink said...

Yummy! That sounds delicious :) I don't like garbanzos though how do you think it would be without them? Thanks!

All the best,
Allison

Helen said...

Not only does this sound delicious, it looks delicious ... I'm certain it tastes delicious! I love, just love, salads in the summer. I make an entire meal out of salads - and not one of them ever tastes the same!

Sorry Ms. Allison - I think this salad cries out for those garbanzo beans!

Melissa Miller said...

Oh yes this does sound good Cathy!
I love Giada too! Salads are so perfect for summertime meals.

~Enjoy the weekend. ~Melissa :)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Cathy, when I saw that beautiful mosaic, I knew I was going to want to try this recipe. I think you could do a mosaic that would make liver look delicious! (Can you tell I don't like liver?) I am looking forward to trying this recipe. Thanks for sharing it. I also want to thank you for leaving beauiful comments. I could read your comments over and over again! You are such a sweet, kind person. laurie

Sharing with Sherri said...

Yummy, yum, yum,!! Looks so colorful and delicious!! How clever of you to show the ingredients in a mosiac! Even some ice tea too. Perfect summer dish!

Thanks!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Sherri:)

Stacey said...

Happy Saturday Cathy! I've never tried orzo before. Never met a grain that wasn't yummy though. This recipe sounds light and delicious!

Joyce said...

The collage is beautiful. I will make this recipe because you say you like this. I am not one to be turned off by multiple ingredients since I love to cook. You may like the Ina recipe that I posted a few weeks back with the Shrimp. I honestly think you can eat it without the shrimp too. Off to copy this recipe because we love orzo. Thanks for sharing as I had no idea there was a salad Saturday so maybe next week I can participate.
Joyce

KD said...

I forgot all about Orzo salads. I used to make one years ago. I can't wait to give this one a try. Thanks for participating in SSS!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

This looks healthy and delicious! Thanks for sharing! Twyla

Domestic Designer said...

I am thinking today would be a good time to try this! Thanks!

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Sounds good! I've tried Giada's recipes before and they are always good, and unique.

Katherine

Laura said...

Cathy- Your blog and photos and posts always look so beautiful!
You are an inspiration.
Some day will you do a tutorial on making mosaics?

Laura

The salad looks wonderful.

Rebecca Nelson said...

I know what I'm making tomorrow....OMGOSH!

I'm no cook...I can bake up a storm...but cooking is another story. Thanks for sharing....LOVE IT!

xoRebecca

Dixie said...

Cathy... that salad looks delicious!...

oh, but I came by to tell you where I purchased Peonies this year... online... right?

This year they came from www.WinningGifts.com. They weren't the best Peonies I've ever purchased on line... but they are beautiful... certainly not the worst either...

Order some... they are worth every single penny!

blessings. Dixie

Lisa said...

This looks delicious! I have never made orzo before. I always buy it ready made from Central Market (O: You have given me courage to try!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I love orzo salad and this recipe looks wonderful! Giada is the best ;)

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Hi Cathy, Thanks for those tips! Folks seem to really like Windows Live Writer but another blogger left a comment saying that she did her post with WLW and then Mr. Linky wouldn't work with it. Do you know if that is a problem normally? Since I host two Memes with Mr. Linky I'm a little nervous to try WLW if it won't work with it.

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

I've got to try this salad...it looks yummy and refreshing for summer! I just got rid of my ugly border lines...Yipee! :-) I'd seen that over at TCBOTB but was afraid to try it...just tried it on the test blog and it worked ok so got brave and tried it on the real thing! Thanks for mentioning that because it sure looks better without those lines! Wish I could Strrreeeetch my mosiac pic to fit the header but at least it looks better now. :-)

Victoria Hayden said...

Definitely going to try this...looks so good!!

Hugs,
~Victoria~

Alicia said...

The honey in the dressing & the mint in the salad I never would have thought of, never mind the fact that your mosaic makes me want to eat it now.
Thanks for joining my little journey. I look forward to watching yours as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails